Thought Directory

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And It Goes On and On and On

No, I'm not quoting the "Dynamite" lyrics.. 

Hey, classmates.
As a return to my posts of philosophical ramblings I sometimes like to type out, I'd love to talk about something off the bat. Contrary to my normal, nearly accusative, subjects of want, honesty, and things of that sort, today we're going to talk about the fire of man, the intellectual object of stimulation when provoked by inspiration and motivation. Yep, creativity. Bored and curious, I looked up the definition of creative and came up with this: 
 Define Creative:
  1. Having the ability to create.
  2. Characterized by originality of thought; having or showing imagination.
  3. Designed to or tending to stimulate the imagination.
  4. Characterized by sophisticated bending of the rules or conventions.
All of these entries imply that the very idea of creativity is, indeed, abstract and must make use of a conduit- a person- to further spread its own mindset. Its like the first GOOD parasite.


The first entry, being obvious, I shall skip. The second, however, intrigues me. Originality of thought is something we all have, is it not? We all think differently from each other, if even in the most minute faction, therefore implying that our own thought processes are, indeed, original. Does that make us, every one of us, creative? I think not. Having or showing imagination, is something that some people may lack. We ALL have imagination, though sometimes we don't let it run free, therefore making us well... I'll put it bluntly: Uncreative. So no, not everyone is creative, but we all have the power to be. Bummer, I know.


The third entry implies something I didn't expect. It implies that through our own creative juices being displayed on something we make, or do, we can inspire creativity in others. Sounds pretty obvious at first, but have you ever truly thought of that? Creating a piece of art not only rakes in the praises and awe, but inspires someone else to try their hand at making something amazing too.

Now I must pause to quote Arthur Koestler:
"Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and the pupil are located in the same being" 
Entry four almost made me laugh. I immediately thought of someone playing a card game and ultimately bending the rules in unsettling, unseen, and unprovable ways. Using creativity to bend the rules is definitely something you want to learn if becoming a super-villain is on your list of to-do's.

Now speaking of to-do's, as you might have heard, making lists is a great way to remember things. I believe it's time I made my own as my life grows more filled with occupational tasks. I imagine it would also be nice to begin writing at least ONE journal post a week here on my thought-blog. Also if you'd like to check out my newest blog, "Reclaim, Revamp, Repurpose" then click the link. It's not even started yet, and I'm still playing around with fonts, colors, and layout/template design overall. But ya know, comment on the test posts with ideas for it's design if you have any. I'm always in need of some ideas.

So yea, guys, if you need a better look at at the meaning of creativity, I suggest you Google it. I found dozens upon dozens of sites filled with quotes and explanations. Also leave your ideas, short explanations, or quotes on creativity in the comment section below. Thanks for reading.

As always, your host,

No comments:

Post a Comment